Speak with an immigration expert
A free 15-minute initial consultation

All applications and legal advice are handled by our lawyers.

All applications and legal advice are handled by our lawyers.

Considering a move to Austria? Our immigration services are here to guide you through the process, ensuring a smooth transition to your new home. Here's how we can assist you:

Comprehensive Permit Assistance: Our experienced immigration lawyers handle all applications and provide legal advice tailored to your needs. Whether you are planning to live, work, or study in Austria, we will help you navigate the complex bureaucracy and obtain the correct documentation.

Extensive Permit Options: Austria offers various residence and work permits, and registrations for EU/ EEA/ Swiss citizens and third-country nationals. From skilled workers to researchers, students to family members, we will help you in applying for the permit that best suits your situation.

Expert Guidance: Our lawyers possess in-depth knowledge of the various permit types available in Austria. With their expertise and years of experience, they will guide you effectively, helping you navigate the process smoothly and avoid costly mistakes.

Streamlined Process: We manage every aspect of the application process, from gathering required documents to submitting applications on your behalf. Our goal is to make the immigration process as seamless and stress-free as possible for you.


We are happy to assist you, your employees, and your families with permits both for first application and extensions. Below are some of the most common types of permits and registrations available:

Red-White-Red Card: Skilled workers in shortage occupation
  • Prospective applicants must secure a job offer before applying for this permit.
  • The Austrian authorities annually assess labour market needs and publish the shortage occupations list, which identifies professions that are in high demand in Austria.
  • Specialising in one of these areas, enhances your chances of acquiring a work permit, however, job-specific education is usually mandatory.
Red-White-Red Card: Key workers
  • Prospective applicants must secure a job offer before applying for this permit.
  • This permit covers the majority of professions.
  • It is issued to specialists with professional education and several years of experience in their specialist field.
Red-White-Red Card: Highly qualified workers
  • Prospective applicants must secure a job offer before applying for this permit.
  • Qualification categories are:
    • experienced employees and CEOs (significant work experience or have held executive positions in their careers;
    • academic titles (such as PhD, professor or researcher); or
    • qualified specialists and researchers across various fields, including science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
  • Please note: highly qualified workers may enter Austria under a 6-month temporary visa specifically for job seeking purposes – we are happy to advise you on this visa type.
Blue Card
  • Prospective applicants must secure a job offer before applying for a residence permit.
  • Similar to the Red-White-Red Card in its aim to attract skilled professionals.
  • Higher education and further criteria are compulsory, including meeting minimum income level requirements.
Red-white-red plus family members
  • Family members (spouses, registered partners, and minor children) of Red-White-Red Card holders can apply for this residence permit.
  • It allows family members to join the primary applicant in Austria.
  • The key benefit of this permit is that it enables partners (spouses or registered partners) to work for any company in Austria, at the same level as the primary applicant (without any limitations on job type or industry).
Student residence permit
  • An acceptance letter from an approved educational institution is required to study in Austria; the specific requirements and application process depend on the type of programme being pursued.
  • Students from countries outside of the EU generally require permission to work whilst studying in Austria.
Red-White-Red Card: Graduates of Austrian universities and colleges of higher education
  • Graduates from Austrian universities and colleges of higher education may look for employment in Austria, with the opportunity of changing their residence permit for this type of Red-White-Red Card.
  • It is compulsory to provide evidence of studying in Austria; demonstrating the successful completion of a diploma programme; at least at the second stage of studies, a bachelor's programme, a master's programme, or a doctoral programme.
Residence permit for Research purposes
  • This permit is for individuals conducting research or academic activities at one of the accredited research institutions in Austria. It may be granted for a specific research project or academic institution.
Intra-corporate transfers
  • This permit is for employees seconded to a role or project in Austria (1-3 years), where the main employer is based in a different country.
Family Reunification (for family members of EU- and Austrian citizens)
  • As the spouse of an Austrian or EU citizen, you may be eligible for the Family Reunification permit.
  • For third country nationals whose partners are EU citizens, the application process is typically more straightforward than partners of Austrian citizens (as their process aligns with EU directives and regulations, whilst the latter follows national immigration policies).
Settlement permit employment

For certain special cases of dependent employment in Austria, a "settlement permit – special cases of dependent gainful occupation" can be granted. This applies, for example, to foreign media respondents, university professors or teachers at international schools.

Settlement permit employment excluded
  • For individuals that are considering living or retiring in Austria, without employment.
  • This permit allows you to live independently in Austria without being employed.
  • However, you must prove that you are financially independent via savings or regular income from other sources, and have sufficient health and accidental insurance.
For EU/ EEA/ Swiss citizens: EU registration
  • The process is generally simpler than for third country nationals, though EU, EEA and Swiss citizens are still required to complete a registration process, if planning to stay longer than 3 months.